Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Team Teaching

Today, I taught a beginner yoga class at the University of South Alabama's Student Recreation Center.  I am working on becoming employed at the rec center and as part of the hiring process the coordinator has potential employees team teach an actual class.  I put much thought into preparing for the class.  I created an initial class plan, asked for feedback from current instructors, and then practiced teaching the class without an audience.

This summer, I've been enrolled in a public speaking course, which is a requirement for graduation.  I've learned a great deal in this course, and I believe it has helped me with the public speaking portion of teaching a yoga class.  One tip I've learned in public speaking is that careful preparation can promote overall success.  Preparation may lessen the intimidation often felt when speaking in public.

It was helpful, as well, that the students in the class I taught today were kind and gentle and understanding of my newness.  Furthermore, their poses were strong and beautiful!  It was rewarding to witness a yoga class in the seat of the teacher - to see an entire class in their various individual expressions of the yoga postures taught today.  I feel very confident about my teaching experience today and I'm excited to team teach again this Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment