Saturday, February 4, 2012

Evolution as an Instructor

At the beginning of my journey to become a teacher, I had a naive view of yoga - a physical view.  Like many, my definition of yoga only included its physical aspect.  And of course, asana (the practice of postures) is an important part of yoga - especially in the west - but asana is by far not the only important aspect of yoga.  One could teach an entire yoga class on just breathing techniques, for instance!  There's a complex history and philosophy involved in this ancient Indian practice.  People can and have spent their entire lives studying the Sanskrit language!  It's incredible, how many facets of yoga there are!  The physical practice of yoga is much broader than one would assume, as well.

When I began teaching, my attention was mostly focused on the physical aspect of yoga.  I recognized and appreciated the mental benefits, but my focus was on teaching the poses in proper alignment and making sure my students experienced an effective workout.  Even in my own practice, my goals were often physically oriented.  I've found that reaching non-fitness oriented goals can be just as rewarding and that the journey toward the achievement of a goal can be quite rewarding as well.  My most recent realization is that yoga really isn't about making my body fit the yoga.  Rather, it's about making the yoga fit my body and my overall needs.

My newest goal as a teacher is to promote a sense of pride, in each student, for their unique yoga practices.  I wish for my students to realize that it's not all about the poses and it is my goal to offer a style of yoga that is available to people of all shapes, sizes, ages, levels of flexibility, levels of strength, etc.  I cannot wait to see what becomes of this goal.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment