Saturday, April 2, 2011

Why I'm Going through Yoga Teacher Training

As a journal assignment, Melanie has asked us to answer the question: "What is your intention for embarking on the journey of deepening your understanding of yoga through this training?"  I've decided to post my response as a blog entry:

Each time we practice asana in teacher training, Melanie asks us recall our intentions for being in the training.  At first, I had no idea how to summarize my intentions so I would envision all of all the things I want to do with the knowledge and skills I'm acquiring in the teacher training.  As the training has progressed, I have summarized my intentions which are "to be a light in the lives of others and to continue to work toward a more enlightened Jenn."

This goal may sound a little vague:  I have many aspirations for when I have completed my RYT 200 training.  Here are a few: I have been talking to the group fitness coordinator at my university's student recreation center, and I'm really hoping to obtain employment there as a yoga instructor.  Furthermore, I've discussed with my advisor the possibility of completing yoga-based research for my Psychology senior honors thesis.  Possibly in the future, I may combine yoga and psychotherapy; after all, treatment is where I found yoga and it has been a huge part of my own recovery.

Other than preparing me to reach these goals, the training is also helping me with my own self-evaluation, self-discovery, and self-improvement.  My own yoga practice is transforming, and with that so is my outlook on many aspects of life.  With Melanie's fine example of sometimes taking much-needed rests, I am now doing that myself - rather than forcing things both physically and mentally, I'm finding a kind of confidence and satisfaction in myself which I never had before.  I can be confident in my own practice, whether or not my poses are "perfect."  I can push myself to my full potential without pushing myself past my body's limits.  I can meditate, as that is yoga too, rather than only focusing on asana.

I've begun practice teaching as well, which has been a slightly frightening experience, but enjoyable as well.  Over time, throughout this training, I assume and hope I will become more comfortable in front of a group and more confident teaching yoga.

So there you have it; this is why I am in the training & these are my plans. :)

Namaste!

Jenn

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Jenn! :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to take one of your classes!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jess - so sad I don't get to go to the 'Frew reunion!
    And Amanda, awe :) See you tomorrow in YOUR class btw! <3

    ReplyDelete