Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kirtan with Prema Hara

The art, practice, and lifestyle of yoga is not exclusively composed of the yoga postures.  Actually, Asana (the physical postures) is but one of the many facets of yoga.  Kirtan is a form of Bhakti yoga which involves call-and-response chanting of mantras or hymns often accompanied by traditional instruments.  This past Friday I had the opportunity to attend a kirtan at Yoga Birds led by a group called Prema Hara.  Before this, I had never been to a kirtan so I had no idea what to expect, but I knew there would be music and yogis and that was good enough for me!  Words can't even describe what it really involved though; yes, there was music and there were yogis, but there was so much more than just that!  There was an overall feeling of unity with opportunity for internalization as well.  I was there for hours yet it seemed like minutes.  The energy was calm and uplifting and the chanting was beautiful.  I'm so grateful to Prema Hara for coming to Fairhope and to Melanie for inviting them.

2 comments:

  1. Sad I could not come! Glad you enjoyed! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad you couldn't come too! But yes it was awesome - looking forward to seeing you too! <3

    ReplyDelete