Monday, March 14, 2011

The First Steps of my Journey

Today was my first day of yoga teacher training.  I'm studying under Melanie Buffett at her studio - Yoga Birds - in Fairhope, Alabama.  I can already tell this is going to be a wonderful and memorable experience.  Melanie is seemingly a fabulous teacher: funny, genuine, inspiring...  My peers seem kind as well.  Hopefully, we will form unique and powerful bonds throughout this training.

In class today we went over the course syllabus, were led by Melanie through a short practice, and were dismissed.  This was actually the first time Melanie has ever taught me.  Her yoga is different - she teaches a very strong and sturdy class, which is challenging and empowering.  She focuses heavily on alignment and is in tune with her students' individual and collective needs.  I was humored by her story-telling as we held the postures! 

The Coffee Loft is literally across the street from Yoga Birds, so of course I stopped by after class - mmm green tea chai.

I am staying with my Aunt Margaret and Uncle Milton this weekend at their bayhouse in Fairhope.  Aunt Margaret is so super adorable.  She thought of everything imaginable to provide the most possible comfort for me as her guest this weekend; she even moved some of the dishes down to my level because she thought I might be too short to reach them!  I'm staying in their guest house, which offers privacy with the option still of visiting as often as we'd like.

I'm looking forward to my second day of teacher training tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment